September 20, 2006

The life and legacy of Steve Irwin

As I awaited the furniture removalist van to arrive today I became glued to the TV set watching Steve Irwin's memorial service live from Australia Zoo. Looking past the impressiveness of the PM's speech and the celebrity condolences, I was moved to tears by the life and legacy of Steve.

The overarching impacts on me were inspiring. Steve was known throughout the world for being real. So many of the tributes shared by those in the service or played in the service expressed his real bravery. As Kevin Costner so well shared, his bravery was not in his skillful handling of mighty creatures, but his honesty in a world so fearful and critical of honesty. He was genuine, real.

Secondly, he knew his purpose in life. In one interview of Steve replayed, he shared passionately that he knew he was put on this earth for the purpose and message of conservation of wildlife. In another clip, with broken rib and busted fingers, he ecstatically announced he had achieved his mission. No doubt as he stood before his Lord and Saviour this last week (he became of follower of Jesus just one month before his passing), God would have be saying to him, "Well done good and faithful servant. You have accomplished what I asked of you." He knew his purpose, and he was passionate about achieving it.

Thirdly, he was loud and far-reaching in his message. Steve purposed to educate the world on conservation and bring it to the agenda. Russell Crowe shared in his tribute that Steve's passing had been on the news in America for a full week. He said of this, "This shows, mate, that you got your message across." What a powerful statement about Steve life. He got his message across, to all corners of the globe. He got his message across, and he got it wide-spread.

FInally, Steve was known to be a profoundly faithful and loving husband, father, son and friend. He was labelled a great family man and mate by so many, that they even declared that Steve had been an example for them in their own relationships. I can't think of anything more powerful. He was loving and faithful to his family and friends.

Steve's life impacted incredibly on thousands of people and animals around the world. And his legacy, I admit, has imbeded into my own life. As David Wenham recited in a poem at the end of the service, it is now our turn, it is up to us to honour all he did and was about, by continuing in his work.

I don't know about you, but I want to continue in his work. I want to be real, to be passionate about my purpose in life, to get my message across, and to be loving and faithful in my relationships. May God bless all those who are grieving Steve at this time.

No comments: