September 28, 2005

When the joke is no longer funny...

In reference to Matt's comment on my posting The local vs. global challenge, that
"If cross-cultural mission is not relevent to these students its essentially an
admission that they are not relevant to our pluralist culture,"
I have to assume such students, and Christians who think like them, are responsible for the posters outside churches that are just way beyond even a joke!


This week as I have driven past a certain local church I have come across a poster that makes my stomach turn, my blood drain, my face fall... The green poster had a picture on a man reading a book with a look of sheer terror on his face and his hair on end. The caption:
"Try reading the Bible, it'll scare the hell out of you"

followed by a gentle God verse. Are you also horrified? It sounds like we read an R-rated horror novel or something. Only an insular Christian would think such a play on words witty and relevant. I would love to hear some Christian and non-Christian reactions!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've inspired me.